Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta 2.1 (1)

Comments

Just tried the text editor.

1. It didn't save!
    2. Any chance of a spell-checker?
  • Jmv38Jmv38 Mod
    edited August 2014 Posts: 3,297

play button: 1/ [edit] sometimes doesnt works for me (i have to use the one without keyboard) i dont know the circumstances and 2/ it was ok before current build.

color circles: yes, i know what you say. But when you inspect code you dont want to be tapping every line to check for the hidden char... However i can live with it.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Andrew_Stacey odd! It has auto-save enabled, I'll look into it. I'll be adding autocomplete to the text editor, unsure on spellchecking.

@Jmv38 very strange, I can't reproduce the play button issue. I'll keep trying.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

play button: doesnt occur any more now..??? I'll save the code the next time it appears.

Concerning the color dot: maybe you could put it inside the parenthesis of color(,,,) instead of outside?

Not sure why, my game froze on one frame:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ejbcu52gg535d3e/Photo 22-08-2014 14 40 06.png

Stayed like that being unable to press buttons then went to this and was unresponsive:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ugmod2f615c9shr/Photo 22-08-2014 14 40 15.png

• toffertoffer Mod
    edited August 2014 Posts: 151

The font size does not reflect Codea's settings. Look at this two screenshots, code editor and shader lab reflect the 18pt but not the text-editor : https://www.dropbox.com/s/sdw1p1vbr39op1b/Photo 22-08-2014 19 18 54.png and https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ev2xxrvqdxphxz/Photo 22-08-2014 19 19 54.png

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@toffer thank you — I didn't realise you meant the plain text editor. Thanks for finding that, will fix.

@Luatee have you been able to re-create the issue?

@Simeon, I think Luatees issue comes when you have an error in your code. Will try to make a small project that causes it.

@JakAttak there is no error, it's exactly the same as when I backed it up, it ran with no problems.

@Luatee, hmm. Must be a different issue then, sorry.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

Bug:

with supportedOrientations.
    1/ in my project i have supportedOrientations(LANSDCAPE).
    2/ from this project i loadstring( project2 )().
    3/ project2 contains supportedOrientations(PORTRAIT).
    4/ but project2 still runs in LANDSCAPE.

Is this the expected behavior? It feels like a bug for me.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Jmv38 this is not something we can elegantly solve.

If you use supportedOrientations in your global scope (i.e., outside of setup() and draw()) then Codea knows which orientations are supported just before the viewer is presented. This allows the viewer to be presented in the desired orientation (e.g., Cargo-Bot does this)

However once your project is running and the viewer is up, Codea is not able to "force" the viewer to rotate to a new orientation. It will rotate (and stick) once the user orients their device, but we can't force it.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Andrew_Stacey I am so far unable to re-produce the not saving problem. Was it a very large file?

Also in my testing ellipseMode appears to default to CENTER.

I am also unable to get the documentation viewer to "stick" by using the Lookup feature on an API call. Will keep playing with this.

@Simeon

It was about a page of text. I then tried with single lines and it still didn't save. However, I tried again yesterday and it did save. Maybe it was when the file was first created? I'll try some experiments.

I'll test again with ellipseMode. Something weird happened in that all my ellipses suddenly doubled in size going from one version of Beta to the next. I thought I'd narrowed it down to a change in the default ellipseMode, but maybe I'd made some other change elsewhere.

The documentation stickiness appears to have been fixed. I thought it was happening with the latest version but I agree that it isn't now.

Ooops! Looks like none of my reported issues were still current!

Oh, apart from the extra keys in search. That one is still there.

@Simeon I could not recreate the issue, I tried to. I think it's related to the errors I'm getting as I've been able to isolate the problem.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I haven't had the time to load the new Beta code and test it, but I ran across this in the current code. Its probably in the Beta code also. This is about the boolean parameter switch. It switches when you tap it, but if you touch the switch area and drag your finger around, it constantly switches. It should change when touched, but not change when dragging.

function setup() count=0 parameter.boolean("MySwitch", true, switchChanged) end function switchChanged( value ) count=count+1 print( "MySwitch changed to " .. tostring(value).." "..count ) end
  • SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Thanks @dave1707 I didn't realise there was tracking behaviour on the switches. Will fix.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

Bug:

There is a problem with httprequest + loadString: http://codea.io/talk/discussion/comment/49295#Comment_49295
    We found a turnaround: http://codea.io/talk/discussion/comment/49301#Comment_49301
    which is to delay the loadstring with tween.delay, but this is not really good.

documentation for savetext uses 'contents' and 'text' for the second argument.

The documentation browser issue is still there, but seems to appear after I've had Codea running for a while. It just happened again - and once it does then it does every time - but killing Codea and restarting stopped it.

If text is too big to fit on the screen then it isn't shown at all. This is very confusing.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Andrew_Stacey thanks for pointing out the documentation bug. Will look into how the browser can get stuck.

What do you mean by "if text is too big to fit on the screen" — is this relating to the documentation browser still, or something else?

No, when displaying a string using text.

encountered a crazy weird bug where every time I hit enter or space it would add it at the top and move my cursor there, but then when I hit backspace my cursor jumped back to its previous position and deleted a character there, as well as the keyboard being stuck up and refusing to go away

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@JakAttak are you able to reproduce it?

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod
    Bug (minor).

When recording a video, if the project restart(), the screen still shows as recording, while it is not recording any longer.

@Simeon, haven't reproduced in yet, but I'm fairly certain it has something to do with the caret shifters

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

Bug:

This seems to be linked to a bug i have described above:
    When i update a library with.
    - http request.
    - then loadstring()() defines f
    then to have f running i must do tween.delay(...). This was bad but ok.
    Now i have a much worse problem:
    - one of my f functions is an update function that contains a loadstring()()
    - this one doesnt work at all, even with a tween.delay.
    Could you have a look? This is really causing a problem in my codea showcase program: the library update function doesnt work for my users. (NB: i have a containement, but which is not really nice)

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod
    Question:

with the new way codea runs a project, is it possible to modify the touched() function while running?
    My question is again fom codea showcase, where i get a new touched() function from loadstring() and i assign it to replace the current touched() function. It seems to work, but it seems the old touched() function is still called too, which causes bugs. This could be a bug on my side, although i dont see it yet (my code is rather clear on that point).

[edit] no, it works correctly. The pb was on my side because i assumed all projects had a touched() function, which is not the case, and that would cause my bug.

Strange behaviour of line with linewidth near to 1, seems to be due to smoothing:

function setup()
        parameter.integer("sc",1,20)
    end

function draw()
        background(40,40,50)
        lineCapMode(SQUARE)
        scale(sc*2)
        stroke(252, 252, 252, 255)
        for k=1,10 do
            strokeWidth(k/sc)
            line(k*20/sc,0,k*20/sc,100/sc)
        end
    end

Codea overwrites the pasteboard:

I copy something in another app, or in the forums, and when I come back to Codea it is overwritten by the last thing I copied in Codea.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

Bug (big):

i had in mind that in the previous versions of codea

if not t.state == BEGAN then return end

meant

if not (t.state == BEGAN) then return end

but now it means

if (not t.state) == BEGAN then return end

If i am correct this is a huge change!

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

editor bug:

the colored dot appears randomly.
    try that code, pop up the keayboard, tap a places, remove keyboard, scroll. Some dots appear, some dont. Changes every time.

function PolarAnim:colorCycle()
        self.blend = self.blend + .01
        if self.red then
            local c2 = color(255, 0, 0, 255)
            local c1 = color(255,127.5,0,255)
            self.col = c1:mix(c2,self.blend)
            if self.blend >= 1 then
                self.blend = 0
                self.red = false
                self.orange = true
            end
            elseif self.orange then
            local c2 = color(255,127.5,0,255)
            local c1 = color(255,255,0,255)
            if self.blend >= 1 then
                self.blend = 0
                self.orange = false
                self.yellow = true
            end
            elseif self.yellow then
            local c2 = color(255,255,0,255)
            local c1 = color(127.5,255,0,255)
            if self.blend >= 1 then
                self.blend = 0
                self.yellow = false
                self.yellowgreen = true
            end
            elseif self.yellowgreen then
            local c2 = color(127.5,255,0,255)
    --        local c1 = color(0,255,0,255)
            local c1 = color(0,255,255,255)
            if self.blend >= 1 then
                self.blend = 0
                self.yellowgreen = false
    --            self.green = true
                self.teal = true
            end
            elseif self.green then
            local c2 = color(0,255,0,255)
            local c1 = color(0, 255, 127.5, 255)
            if self.blend >= 1 then
                self.blend = 0
                self.green = false
                self.seafoamgreen = true
            end
            elseif self.seafoamgreen then
            local c2 = color(0,255,127.5,255)
            local c1 = color(0,127.5,255,255)
            if self.blend >= 1 then
                self.blend = 0
                self.seafoamgreen = false
                self.teal = true
            end
            elseif self.teal then
            local c2 = color(0,127.5,255,255)
            local c1 = color(0,255,255,255)

if self.blend >= 1 then
                self.blend = 0
                self.teal = false
                self.skyblue = true
            end
            elseif self.skyblue then
            local c2 = color(0,255,255,255)
            local c1 = color(0,0,255,255)
            if self.blend >= 1 then
                self.blend = 0
                self.skyblue = false
                self.blue = true
            end
            elseif self.blue then
            local c2 = color(0,0,255,255)
            local c1 = color(255, 0, 255, 255)
            if self.blend >= 1 then
                self.blend = 0
                self.blue = false
                self.purple = true
            end
            elseif self.purple then
            local c2 = color(255, 0, 255, 255)
            local c1 = color(127.5,0,255,255)

if self.blend >= 1 then
                self.blend = 0
                self.pink = true
                self.purple = false
            end
            elseif self.pink then
            local c2 = color(127.5,0,255,255)
            local c1 = color(255, 0, 127.5, 255)
            if self.blend >= 1 then
                self.blend = 0
                self.fuscia = true
                self.pink = false
            end
            elseif self.fuscia then
            local c2 = color(255,0,127.5,255)
            local c1 = color(255,0,0,255)
            if self.blend >= 1 then
                self.blend = 0
                self.red = true
                self.fuscia = false
            end
        end
    end

• edited August 2014 Posts: 1,595

readImage,sound and color do not show the highlights that allow you to bring up the image/sound viewer or colour wheel when closed in another function call such as:

imgb = ImgButton(vec2(WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2),readImage(),...

Imgbutton being a class of mine, this means I cannot look for an image without having readImage() outside of the call and then copying and pasting it back in. Same applies to colour and sound. This probably isn't a bug but I thought it was worth mentioning.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

@luatee this has been like that for ever. I usually manage this (although annoying) with an extra local variable.

@Jmv38 Yes I thought it had, that's also what I do sometimes.

I'm having a lot of trouble trying to distinguish Codea bugs from iOS 8 bugs, but I've noticed a white space eventually overtaking my screen when hiding and showing the keyboard (seems to build up from the bottom).

Bug:
    If you have a big project that takes time to compile, pressing the X at the bottom left of the screen crashes Codea, instead a good idea would be to have it cancel the compile, at the moment it tries to quit to the main screen then crashes.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Andrew_Stacey odd on the line() issue, I'm guessing it's something to do with the antialiasing in the line shader (similar to how rect() works).

The shader actually looks like below, where "Size" is a vec2 containing the length and stroke width of the line. It's probably not behaving correctly when the stroke width is less than one.

varying highp vec2 vTexCoord;

uniform lowp vec4 StrokeColor;
    uniform mediump vec2 Size;

void main()
    {
        mediump vec2 nTexCoord = vec2( (vTexCoord.x + 1.0)*Size.x, (vTexCoord.y + 1.0)*Size.y ) * 0.5;

highp float closestDist =  min(min(nTexCoord.x, Size.x - nTexCoord.x), min( nTexCoord.y, Size.y - nTexCoord.y ));

mediump float aa_amount = max( min( Size.y - 0.5, 0.5 ), 0.0 );

//Premult
        gl_FragColor = mix( vec4(0,0,0,0), StrokeColor, smoothstep(0.0, aa_amount, closestDist) );
    }

@Jmv38 your not Lua example should not have changed in this version, we haven't changed Lua in any way. I'll have to look into your use of loadstring() in callbacks, if you can make a very simple example (< 50 lines) of loadstring not working that would be really helpful.

@JakAttak are you able to explain some more about how the pasteboard is being overwritten by Codea? You are not explicitly copying anything (either via the API or in the editor) in Codea?

@Luatee the keyboard one sounds odd, is this something you are able to make happen consistently? Thanks for that last bug report — for now I'll disable interaction while the project is starting up. But it's a good idea to change the behaviour of the X to cancel.

Just updated to b10. I noticed that the sidebar and settings panel show on the bottom and top of screen, making scrolling up and down really awkward. (THis is on iOS 8)

@Zoyt I noticed this too, I can't see more than one icon at a time which makes accessibility worse. I preferred it being a sidebar on on the left hand side of the screen.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

loadstring

example of problem: http://codea.io/talk/discussion/comment/49295#Comment_49295 (read the comment).

example of how we solved it: http://codea.io/talk/discussion/comment/49301#Comment_49301

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Zoyt @Luatee that's an iOS 8 thing - I forgot to test a change I made last version. Will fix. It should appear correctly in portrait orientation.

@Jmv38 thank you for the example

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Zoyt @Luatee that's odd, I can't reproduce when building under iOS 8. It may be due to compiling with the iOS 7 SDK and then running on 8. I might start doing iOS 8 base SDK builds from this point (it'll still work on 7).

@Simeon, I'm not copying anything in Codea, but it overwrites what u copied outside of Codea to the most recent thing I copied in Codea.

Ex: copy a chunk of code, leave Codea, copy something in safari, come back to Codea, hit paste and my chunk of code gets pasted

• edited September 2014 Posts: 1,595

@Simeon here's a bug, the keyboard stayed up and I could not get it to hide so I had to restart Codea. https://www.dropbox.com/s/7n5z16gy6sy4gnt/Photo 01-09-2014 22 01 55.png?dl=0

Another bug is with the export project frame being to small for its contents. https://www.dropbox.com/s/4yjx7so5nx8p592/Photo 01-09-2014 22 55 54.png?dl=0

Another bug which I think is probably iOS 8 instead of Codea, is the scrolling distance on the screen doesn't compensate for the keyboard. This means I cannot scroll down all the way on a screen if or project if the keyboard is showing, it will hide the code so I have to compensate myself by creating about 15 blank lines below to allow scrolling. This is a problem in the Codea web browser as it hides the comment box. I had to get on my mac to finish this comment because of this! As I said I think this is purely iOS 8, it happens in safari too.

As for the side bar I assume most people will be on 8.0 when it comes out anyway, just because of the large amount of additional features so if it works under 8.0 then theres no problem there.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Luatee are you on the latest beta? A lot of those issues sound like ones I have fixed recently. 2.1 (10) should definitely have fixed the cut off Xcode export panel.

@JakAttak thanks for the clarification

@Simeon Ahh you're correct, I thought I had downloaded (10) but apparently I hadn't. Just installed it and tried to export a project, instead of it being cut off the contents are now shifted to the left a bit and so are not aligned with the center.

• edited September 2014 Posts: 2,043

Project assets, assetList API - awesome stuff

Project asset icon looks weird next to other packs, I think it should be straight like the others rather than tilted.

In the main asset viewer, it'd be nice to have a projects folder, which contains all the project assetpacks

• edited September 2014 Posts: 2,820

I don't see a folder named "Projects". Do I need to add some project based assets first?
    I haven't had too much time to play around with this, but I hope to soon.
    Edit: Nevermind, figured it out.

I think the different project icons look fine at an angle inline. However, I I'd like to be able to have different sections (as in the labels above each section, not seperated folers) for different things including "Global "(Documents and DropBox), "Projects "(which has all the user's projects), "Images," "Sound Effects," and "Music". Right now the assets list feels a bit crowded.

Some other minor bugs:
    - When you slide down to search for the first time in the docs, it disappears, but the second time works fine
    - In the UIPopovers (for the image picker) the corder radius of the content and the popover edge don't quite match
    - In iOS 8, the tap-and-holding-on-the-buttons-above-the-keyboard bug still isn't fixed, but I presume that might be fixed when you update to the iOS 8 SDK

I think it might be nice to have a button in the bottom tool bar for a project to pop up a popover that has all the project assets in it. I feel like it's uneccesary to navigate all the way back to the home screen and into the assets and back again. For some people with slower iPads, like me, the loading makes the process take about 25 seconds (largely spent in loading time). Sorry for the string of consecutive posts.