Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta 2.1 (1)

Comments

@Simeon Thanks, I missed that. I'll give it a try this evening.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Here's something I just came across in version 2.0. Probably in 2.1 also. If I have a non existent sprite, it seems to pick up a valid sprite name and use it, but only if there's a width and height as parameters. See my example below.

displayMode(FULLSCREEN) function setup() end function draw() background(40, 40, 50) sprite("",200,400,100,100) -- shows mistaken sprite sprite("",400,400) -- doesnt show mistaken sprite sprite("Planet Cute:Character Boy",400,200) -- shows real sprite end
  • toffertoffer Mod

@Simeon - I can't use Codea anymore, the app start and crash immediatly (same for Scratchpad). What is strange is the app is in memory, I can see it from 'running apps manager'.

@toffer Codea's provisioning profile expired - Simeon says he'll get it back by the weekend (now), but for now we need the App Store version of Codea. I installed it and it didn't overwrite my projects, but I would backup just in case.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Sorry for the long delay between releases. There was a huge amount of work in re-writing the main project screen. Hopefully it was worth it!

At the moment you will notice examples occupy their own section. The ability to create custom sections for your projects (and order / hide them) will be coming post-2.1.

• edited November 2014 Posts: 1,255

Looks very nice. Definitely an upgrade.

Still having odd GPS issues. I get a value, but the accuracy is very low, as if it's getting location only using the Wi-Fi coordinate.

Export to email is now working without locking things up. That's a big plus. And the swipe-to-return to code option is a huge plus for those of us who like to turn off the buttons. Very nice.

And I'm glad to see Spritely gone. If was so out of date as to be embarrassing.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

@Simeon where is the example section? I cant see it in my 400 projects list...

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

scratchpad dies anytime i launched it. I did remove it before updating.

@Simeon I'm seeing the same thing that @Jmv38 is on Scratchpad. Doesn't get past the launch screen.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Sorry @Mark, @Jmv38, there was a crash bug that snuck in some how. Newest build should fix it.

@Jmv38 the examples should show up at the end of your projects list, are they missing? Do they show up if you open Settings and choose "Restore All Examples"? What version did you upgrade from — 2.0 or 2.1?

@Simeon - The Codea home screen is pretty much completely unusable (worse than scratchpad, I think) on my iPad 3. It's almost impossible to scroll down due to the lag. Here's my solution to solve the problem: When the UICollectionView loads up and cellWillDisplay (or whatever it's called, I forgot) is called, asynchronously load up the next 4 or 8 images into an array for future use. If the image is not loaded by the time the cell with the image is displayed, simply show a loading indicator. When you get a memory warning, all you have to do is remove the images that are not being displayed.

That being said, that's assuming the lag is due to the retrieving of the images from the file system rather than actually rendering them or something like that.

Other than that, the build looks great!

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Zoyt it is the disk loading, sorry about the iPad 3 performance — haven't started optimising yet. Async loading creates pop-in (which is pretty unattractive) but it might be the best way to go for iPad 2/3.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

@Simeon after 'restore all examples' they came back, thanks. Note that the settings window must be scrolled all way down to see this option: i didnt do it at first, so i didnt see that there were additionnal options there. I guess most 'normal' users will face the same pb.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    edited November 2014 Posts: 5,400

@Jmv38 they should have shown up without you having to do that — what version did you upgrade from? 2.0 or 2.1?

Edit: Did anyone else not get the examples showing up initially?

• edited November 2014 Posts: 2,043
    • I also didn't get the examples until I restored (coming from 2.0)

• Same as @Zoyt said with the lag, though once you've scrolled through the entire list once everything is nice and smooth

• A few of the example projects no longer have their images

• You can scroll about half a screen too far at the bottom, looks weird

Really liking the new look.

swipe to go back bugs:

• music keeps playing

• Codea stays locked in the supportedOrientations

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@JakAttak thanks for the bug reports

@Zoyt @JakAttak the newest build should improve scrolling on iPad 2/3. The biggest hit came from the animated project icons (they scale slightly as you scroll). The initial loading should be faster, too (though you will have to "Restore All Examples" to test this).

Eventually I'll move to a completely asynchronous model for this screen, but for the initial release this might be as good as it gets on iPad 3. Please let me know if it's still quite bad for you.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Out of curiosity, who prefers the small icon size to the large icon size? (One of the new settings, I've been debating whether it's worth keeping.)

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@JakAttak when I swipe back Codea does not stay locked in the supported orientation, I tested your bug as follows:

1. Open Physics Lab in portrait mode
    2. Hit the "Play" button
    3. Codea forces orientation to landscape
    4. Swipe back — Code editor is now in landscape
    5. Rotate to portrait and code editor switches to portrait

I did find a bug where supportedOrientation is not sticking in the runtime, however.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

i would prefer smaller icons, or a possibility to choose it.
    I upgraded from appstore version (testflight had expired)

@Simeon, I meant that it doesn't switch back to the previous orientation. so I usually lock my ipad in landscape, now if I run a portrait program I have to unlock it, rotate to portrait, rotate back to landscape, and lock it again. previously it just went back to landscape.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

sketchpad still crashes on launch.

I'm not getting a crash on launch with the latest version. However, on both Codea and Scratchpad I'm seeing a strange little flicker on boot, where the program goes back to the launch screen for a moment. It's a cosmetic issue, but it looks odd and makes start up seem jerky.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@JakAttak I see, it seems like that might simply be a side effect of my forcing the orientation change. The hack is required to get the new presentation method to work with supportedOrientations. I could revert to the old way of displaying projects (so no swipe to go back) — I guess there's a trade-off.

@Jmv38 you can choose smaller icons from the settings menu, are you able to do this? Have you tried deleting Scratchpad and re-installing from TestFlight?

@Mark thanks, I see it too. Will try to eliminate it.

@Simeon, hmm. Maybe make that an option? (Swipe to go back)

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

scratchpad: delete, install: crash. Ipad turned off, on: still crash.
    icons: i have set 'small' icons. I prefer them. Sections are nice, but how can we reach a section fast?

• edited November 2014 Posts: 1,976

Just got the beta...looks pretty good. I've had some slightly weird results when running projects that have a long delay in setup for the first time, but restarting them seemed to fix it.

I like the small icons, but I would keep it as an option. It might be harder on an iPad Mini.

Just curious, what were the outdated examples that you removed?

Scratchpad works fine for me, but I deleted it before installing the new Testflight version.

@Jmv38 edit: misunderstood

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod
    edited November 2014 Posts: 3,297

@skythecoder I meant 'sections'. Simeon said above:
    At the moment you will notice examples occupy their own section. The ability to create custom sections for your projects (and order / hide them) will be coming post-2.1.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Jmv38 that's to be determined. Very unusual about the Scratchpad crash — I wonder if it's an outdated provisioning profile sitting on your iPad.

@SkyTheCoder by weird results, do you mean they ran incorrectly?

Small icons is nice, and works fine for me on the Mini.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

I'm hoping that Codea 2.1 (16) and Codea Scratchpad 1.0 (9) can be considered near-final. Please let me know if there are any more issues.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

last build of scratchpad is OK!

@Simeon By weird results, I mean nothing would draw on the screen, or it would display a dimmed image of the project browser, with the standard pause/play, exit, picture, etc. icons.

There's been one bug hanging on for a few releases that's been bugging me: ElapsedTime is counting during setup(), so if you have some pretty intro at the start of your project, and a big lag before it, when the lag is done the intro will be halfway through or done completely.

Also, is it just me, or does the cursor randomly reposition itself while I'm typing? It might just be me bumping the screen, but I remember multiple times where I was halfway into typing a function name and the cursor moved to the top of the screen.

Is it intended in Scratchpad that there's a blurred-out dependency popup behind the "add new tab" upgrade popup? Here's a screenshot while it's fading out:

Dependencies behind new tab

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@ SkyTheCoder The random cursor position isn't a bug, it happens to me all the time. I hold the iPad with my fingers at the top back of the iPad with my thumb on the front. What happens is if my thumb touches the top of the screen area, the cursor moves to the top of the screen. I use that all the time when I'm looking at forum discussion and I want to jump to the top of the discussions. I tap the top of the screen with my thumb and the display scrolls to the start of the discussion.

@dave1707 But the weird thing is, I have my iPad in landscape, lying down on my desk or on a table. Both of my hands are down at the keyboard, not on the top half of my keyboard.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@SkyTheCoder Then what I'm experiencing isn't the problem you're having. It just sounded similar to what I run into with the cursor.

Search no longer works

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@JakAttak thanks, I'm on it.

There's also a bug now with locked orientation, supportedOrientations, and swipe back

If I'm locked in landscape, call supportedOrientations to go to portrait, then try to swipe back, it does a top down animation instead of left right, if I don't swipe all the way back but instead return to the running project, it is now locked in landscape.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@JakAttak yeah, in the case of locked orientation the swipe back gesture doesn't make much sense (since the swipe would be from the wrong edge). Best to use the back button if you are going to be locking your orientation and using explicit supportedOrientations

If you call saveImage("Project:Icon") with an image that is not a square it will not be cropped and can therefore cover multiple projects in the viewer

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this above, but you can't duplicate projects anymore. If I long press then click duplicate, nothing happens.

EDIT: long press to paste in multi-tab projects isn't working either

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@JakAttak I have just finished rewriting these two functions. Next build should be functionally complete.

Edit: It's out. Functionality should be all there. If there's any issues, please let me know.

deleting a project from the search screen crashes codea

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@JakAttak sorry, thank you for discovering that!

@Simeon 17 seems to have solved most of my keyboard / editor issue, but I'm still occassionaly seeing the issue where the shortcut words pop-up in the lower-left corner, right over the buttons. When this happens, trying to touch a button can accidentally insert text into the program.

rect doesn't work with only three parameters, if I remember right, you could just specify a size to be used as the width and height, now you have to specify both.

Questionable "bug:" DeltaTime continues while a project is paused.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Thanks @Mark and @SkyTheCoder

@Mark do you mean the autocomplete bar shows up over the keyboard itself? (And specifically, over the iOS keyboard? Or just over the top of the Codea keyboard Haddon section?)

@SkyTheCoder good point on rect, I've changed it now.