Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

creating assets

edited January 27 in Codea Craft Posts: 491

i'm a ways off from this, but please provide a bit of guidance on creating assets and asset packs, like the block people or castle kit objects.

thanks!

Comments

• dave1707dave1707 Mod
    edited January 28 Posts: 8,182

@RonJeffries You would have to get a program that creates 3D objects. There’s some free ones that you can download and play with. I tried some but it was too much trouble and I wasn’t really after creating any 3D objects. I deleted them but I can probably find them.

Here’s the programs.
    3DC.io
    Sketch 3D

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@RonJeffries I reloaded 3DC.io . It takes a little playing with things, but it’s easy to use. When you start it, use continue without account. After you create something, select menu and select export .obj for editing and select copy to Dropbox. Put it in the Codea folder if you have one. If you want, you can rename it in Dropbox. Then from Codea, do a sync from the Codea Dropbox folder. You should see the file in the Dropbox folder. Then use this code to view it. If you renamed it, change the Dropbox:export name.

displayMode(FULLSCREEN)

function setup()
        -- use a model from 3DC.io  .obj
        assert(OrbitViewer, "Please include Cameras (not Camera) as a dependency")
        scene = craft.scene()
        m = scene:entity()
        m.model = craft.model("Dropbox:export")
        m.material = craft.material("Materials:Specular")
        m.material.diffuse=color(159, 187, 222, 255)
        m.material.map = readImage("Surfaces:Desert Cliff Normal")

viewer = scene.camera:add(OrbitViewer, vec3(0), 600, 20, 2000)
        viewer.camera.farPlane=3000
    end

function update(dt)
        scene:update(dt)
    end

function draw()
        update(DeltaTime)
        scene:draw()    
    end

So 3D things, at least, are .obj format? I think Blender can export .obj. Thanks! Now on to my next question ... :)

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@RonJeffries we support Blender's .blend files directly I believe. The 3D model formats supported by Craft models are obj, fbx, blend, and stl

Super, thanks!