Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WebRepo 2.0 - Easy access to projects from the Codea community

Comments

• edited May 2021 Posts: 421

@UberGoober The version on WebRepo should now include your demo and the fixes.

I’ve opted to remove the automatic supportedOrientations implementations in WebRepo for the time being as well so I can sort something out that plays nicely with projects that also include the standalone lib for it.

supportedOrientations should now be available by default for projects launched from WebRepo and will also play nice with projects that are also using the standalone lib.

@JakAttak ‘Mirror Draw’ has now been added.

I’ve marked it as an iPhone project and locked it to portrait as it didn’t seem to work especially well on my iPad at all, half of the UI was offscreen and things were overlapping :(

On iPhone it works amazingly though! Some fine work. :smiley:

Hi all,

A small QoL improvement to the submissions process that should make it easier for me to track what’s been submitted :smile:

Please submit your project using the Google form here if you do not mind sharing the name associated with your Google account with me (Only me, and only the name so nothing to worry about). Projects uploaded using this form should be < 100MB currently but if there is ever demand I can increase that to 1GB.

If this is a problem please use the alternative form and provide a link I can download the project from (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.)

Cheers,
    Steppers

@Steppers the latest update doesn’t allow me to download and run any new projects

@West In the WebRepo tab at line 76 remove `or current_metadata.sha ~= v.sha` and it should trigger a refresh of the metadata.

I think I've made some changes recently to some metadata so it probably needs refreshing. I'll add a button in future to force a refresh but that should sort it for now.

@Steppers Perfect - that did the trick. Great work with this

@West Great. I've just added a small change that should trigger a refresh automatically following an update so we shouldn't have problems like this again.

@Steppers - the issue is back - I see the new projects but can’t load them. The webrepo code seems to still have the change I made above - e.g. the commenting out part - does this break the auto refresh?

@West possibly… You shouldn’t need the change anyway now. So you can see them but not download or launch them?

@Steppers - that’s right

@West Can you access the Codea folder in files? If so try deleting webrepocache.json and running it again. It’ll trigger things to redownload though (make sure any local changes to downloaded projects are backed up) but I’m really not sure what else could be going on.

@West Just spotted something actually. Bear with me

@West I think that should be the last of it now. If you comment out WebRepo.lua:21 it should auto update with the fix and the cache should be back in working order.

I’ll sort a 1.1.1 build out later and post it.

@Steppers Yes, that resolved it - thanks!

@Steppers - pulled out another file that @Xavier published in an old thread building and manipulating a model. Some nice effects - take a look.

Xavier3D1.zip 175.1K

@Steppers - here’s another one that impressed me in the early days of 3D from @Jaybob - you may think this could be an interesting demo.

@Bri_G Thanks, both of those should now be available.

Hi all,

WebRepo 1.2 is now available and is the largest update yet!

iPad

iPad

iPhone

Changes include:
    - Redesigned project list (less clutter)
    - Tapping on a project now opens an info panel with additional information (including long descriptions)
    - The info panel includes separate install, update, launch and delete buttons to simplify project management.
    - A forum button has also been added to the info panel leading to the relevant discussion if one has been specified.
    - Rough download progress is overlaid onto project icons as they’re downloading.

With an awful lot of new features, new bugs are inevitable so please do let me know if you come across any :smile:

As always, if you already have WebRepo installed it should autoupdate next time you launch it. Otherwise i’ve also attached a zip.

Cheers o7
    Steppers

Github Release

Man, this is fantastic and keeps getting better.

@Bri_G that @Jaybob project is sweeeet!

• edited May 2021 Posts: 2,728
    @UberGoober - yeah, impressed me when he first posted it. Two 3D plains and joypad rotation of field wrapped up in a small demo. You said it - sweeeeet!

@Steppers
    First off, fantastic work.
    Issues:
    * Layout problems on iPhone version, see screenshot
    * This update crashed Codea first time I ran it
    * If you want to make the UI more iOS-like I have a couple suggestions, for comparison I’ve attached a screenshot from the App Store. First off, it’s my impression that Apple eschews button shapes in favor of highlighted text in almost all cases these days. Note in the screenshot that only “GET” is in an actual button shape and there are around five other tappable items on the screen that are only indicated only by blue text. So if you wanted to follow that standard I would suggest reserving the button shape for use only with the install/update button, and using highlighted text for the others. Also Apple seems pretty fanatic about single-pixel-width lines these days, so if you want to jive with their aesthetic when you put a border around something I’d recommend staying to one pixel as well.

And again, this is just terrific.

@UberGoober Thanks! I’m glad you’re still enjoying it.

As for the layout issues, any chance you can tell me the `WIDTH` & `HEIGHT` values on your device so I can mimic it on my device to test? I’ve only got a notched device so the resolution differs a little.

No idea about the crashes tbh but could possibly have something to do with the recent project modification changes.

With the aesthetic I’ll admit I’m not too pleased with it myself at the moment but it did the job for this update. I was just trying to reuse button code as much as possible so they all ended up looking the same but I think in the end I’ll aim for a look closer to the app store in general.

Thanks for the advice!

@Steppers liking the update!

@Steppers, I’ve noticed that on iPhone I don’t see the long descriptions for projects

• edited May 2021 Posts: 2,054

Here’s another one from the archives:

Ladderman. If you’ve played timberman before, this is basically a skinned version of that.

This one should work on iPad and iPhone (works on my 11 inch iPP and iPhone 11)

@JakAttak Not sure what’s going on there then. Some projects don’t have the long descriptions so it just uses the short one instead, you could be seeing that. The soft shadows demo should definitely have one.

Thanks! Would you mind submitting it with this link? Google Form. It just makes it easier for me to track the projects that still need adding.

Yeah I checked projects which definitely have them.

And sure for the form,my apologies

@JakAttak Odd, could be the metadata hasn’t updated for some reason. Comment out line 21 in the WebRepo tab and it should redownload all of the metadata.

Thanks, just had an email for the submission :smile:

@JakAttak Ladderman is available now, plays wonderfully. As long as your copy of the WebRepo project has correctly updated itself then this one should definitely display the long description. If not then we may have an issue with the text rendering there as I've noticed some odd things with text wrapping recently.

When run through WebRepo it even gets supportedOrientations back too!
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 421

Hi All,

WebRepo 1.3 is now available (also via autoupdate).

This update adds support for multi-project bundles allowing other users to download multiple projects and asset packs at once!

Project bundles will have the (Bundle) suffix in their project listing on WebRepo.

To make use of this please ensure your .codea and .assets bundles are available at the root of your submitted zip file.

When bundled projects are downloaded they’re placed in the same ‘collection’ in Codea (except Asset packs which are stored in Codea’s root documents folder).

Unfortunately this comes with a couple of limitations:
    - Due to the current lack of folder management support within Codea, WebRepo is unable to handle the deletion of multi-project bundles for you but this can easily be done manually from within the iOS Files app.
    - Bundled projects may have difficulty launching until Codea has been restarted.

Hope you enjoy!

Your implementation of supportedOrientations is very slick, I like it.

• edited June 2021 Posts: 421

Hi all,

I’ll prefix this by letting you know there is no longer a risk and there’s nothing to worry about but I do apologise for the issue.

Just a quick but important update regarding the security of WebRepo and Github access.

I occurred to me today that WebRepo was storing the Github access tokens in plaintext using Codea’s global storage. This made it possible that another project could harvest the token and gain access to Github using this key (All user keys have now been revoked so they are not a risk).

As I am unaware of any method I can currently use to safely store these tokens, you will be required to authenticate at every launch of WebRepo. The token is now never stored to disk and access is also not available to launched projects.

Once again I sincerely apologise for exposing all users to this risk but thought it best to let you know of the (now resolved) issue.

Many thanks,
    Steppers

On further inspection this is even less of an issue than I first thought. The Github tokens WebRepo was storing only granted read-only access to public info anyway so I can’t see how anything bad could possibly have happened.

So false alarm but probably worth the fix just in case :smile:

All - just submitted two further projects to WebRepo, old ones, demonstrating the power of using a single mesh to display multiple objects (in the thousands) - please note that the more objects you request the slower the demo is to start.

@Bri_G Amazing, thanks for adding those! They run perfectly in WebRepo. Should be available now.

@Steppers its getting so large we really need a “latest uploads” filter

@UberGoober I think it’s in need of a bit of an overhaul to be honest. I’m currently in the process of separating the various parts out into individual libraries (which will also be available on WebRepo eventually) with the intention to do a bit of a rewrite for a large portion of the code.

I’m currently considering an option that could potentially save us having to use the Github API at all, while also likely making it easier to implement something like a ‘recently updated’ or ‘recently added’ filter.

If we can also avoid the Github API entirely then I’m also considering adding a slimmed down runtime WebRepo library that would allow projects to download and load dependencies on the fly, saving a trip to WebRepo when developing a project locally. Maybe even incorporating the LuaRocks Repo so the community can easily access various Pure Lua libraries with ease.

But long story short, things are in the works :smiley:

o7

It’s been a while but just wanted to throw a quick teaser out there to show you all that I have indeed been quite busy…

Lots of new stuff on its way!

@Steppers Looks great!

WebRepo 2.0 is here!

iPad

This release brings a ton of great new features including:
    - A brand new UI (built on a brand new UI library which is also available on WebRepo)
    - Integrated Submit & Review right from within the app itself, so long Google Forms!
    - Version support for projects (all downloadable on demand)
    - Automatic dependency inclusion for submissions
    - Github login requirement has been removed
    - Light & Dark themes (available from the settings screen, requires a project restart)

Submitting a project is now fairly self explanatory once you run the app.
    I’ll attempt to approve new submissions within 24 hours but if it takes much longer feel free to ping me here.

I’ll be looking to provide others with Admin keys soon so they can also manage new submissions. If you’re interested do let me know :smile:

iPad

There are a few small QOL changes that would be nice but the functionality should all be there.

I hope you all enjoy using this as much as I did making it!

Cheers,
    Steppers
    o7

Games

• edited November 2021 Posts: 2,728
    @steppers - looks really neat, will play with it tonight when I get chance. Thanks

This is fantastic! Haven’t tried all the features yet but it looks really good and there’s SO much more discoverability. Really great.

Only UI comment: the love of Pete use AspectFill!

• edited November 2021 Posts: 1,827

Also I think I know the first word newcomers are going to search (see screenshot)…

…and that’s all they’ll find?

Come on guys, let’s fill that screen up!

@UberGoober That's what the 'Game' tab is for :wink:
    As for aspect fill, I've been meaning to sort this out. I've got support for a 'Banner' image to be displayed there but I just haven't figured out a way to integrate it into the submission screen just yet.
    If anyone wants to receive push notifications for new submissions, approvals & rejections you can subscribe here: https://pushover.net/subscribe/WebRepoSubmissions-enkwbftp5mr7iit

The Pushover App is fantastic btw, I totally recommend it.

@Steppers d’oh!!!

Uh oh it just froze on me, like completely forever froze. It won’t un-freeze even if I restart Codea.

Oh no…